Climblapse

Hey, this is a thing!

AmeriCorps Year of Service, 2009-2010. True story. I did after-school programming with low-income kids through the Providence Children’s Museum. A portion of my 1700 service hours went to a Museum Enrichment Project where we documented the construction of the Museum’s Luckey Climber. We set up a camera in the building next door and it took a picture every 20-or-so minutes. We never exactly found out why the camera kept stopping, and it was apparently getting bumped by the cleaning staff, so there are large gaps in the timelapse and the angle keeps changing. Regardless, I was quite happy with the finished product, though it drives me nuts that we missed the cone going up!

I did the first pass on the editing, but most of the credit goes to Melinda Rainsberger – she provided the camera & the timelapse program, she did all the motion graphics and color correction, she finagled a friend to submit the soundtrack, and did a pass on the edit after I was done which markedly improved it. And she did it for credit and some museum passes. She’s a classy lady.

Longy

Link to Longy. (Apparently embedding is disabled.)

I was the editor on this one, working with Lynn of Wiesswoman Productions. I’ve been working with Lynn for the past few months – officially I’m an intern, but she gets me some paid work on shoots as well. She’s been an extremely valuable mentor for me as I learn the ropes of being a freelancer, and has plugged me in to a lot of resources. When working for free, or for a small stipend, I can be very choosy about the work in a way I can’t otherwise – when only a small number of people are offering money, I don’t have a lot of freedom to say no. But lots of people are looking for free help, so, while I still have the time for it, volunteering and interning are ways to working exclusively with people I like and on work I find interesting.

Fav performance: 0:47.

Wax

Dug this out from the college archives. I’d been casting army men in wax for my 3D Visual Dynamics class, and decided to film one of them melting in the hot plate (which was mostly full of already-melted red wax). Some time later I was assigned in a different class to make a short based on a proverb, so this footage came in useful.

I realized too late it’s actually “old soldiers” that don’t die. I also realized too late that everyone uses army men when they first start casting, but whatever!

Tea

Oakland, also 2006ish. Made this for my Directing class… I think. Couldn’t get to campus to check out a camera, so this was filmed on my housemate’s teeny tiny digital still camera, in 30 second bursts because that was the video limit. Had to keep emptying out the hard drive, too. But it was a camera you could stick inside a tea box! (Note: whip-pan-into-tracking-shot while performing. The Academy doesn’t even have an Oscar for that!)

Sound design stitched together from ~7 wholly improvised takes over the finished video. In, like, the 2 hours before class. Some bit of me is still baffled that people have responded to it. Wish I still had them heart-covered boxers.

Ass Danced Off By Danskin

Oakland, circa 2006. Served as my final project in both Production and Sound As Image. Rejected from the end-of-the-year juried show, but liked enough by students to, along with several other rejects, kickstart a non-juried show immediately following the juried show. Wore my pink tuxedo to that.

What was especially fun about this one was that the song and the video were made in tandem. Went something like this:

  1. Filmed self dancing in front of a camera w/ a wide-angle lens for about an hour, blasting this, with vague ideas of ways I could edit it.
  2. Picked the chords and sounds I wanted in the song and had my friend record each one individually. (He also made some buzzes in Max MSP.)
  3. Started chopping video clips – with liberal use of Time Remap and bezier handles – into sync with some freeware drum beats (kick and snare, which I gated within an inch of their lives).
  4. Once I had a fair number of drum-loop-video-clips, started writing the middle chunk of the song as it is now – where the guitar first comes in – in SoundTrack, by hacking together the audio clips one note at a time. (I am not good enough to play this song live on guitar.)
  5. From there I went back & forth, writing bits of music and finding video to go with it, or taking rhythmic clips of video and writing music for it, until the whole shebang started to come together.
  6. A massive number of video transitions, renders, and re-renders later (and maxing out the saturation to truly ludicrous amounts), we had this thing here. :D

My dad still asks how I stuck to the wall. Jokingly, I think.